20120124

The blue wrap-around on a red coat is brilliant.

I once heard that the nation of Britain uses four times more words in English than does the United States of America. And I'm sure the British average wasn't including Bill Shakespeare's. One reason could be because that the British and the commonwealth countries highly value oratory finesse, which naturally requires more vocabulary as well. Whatever the reason, the lack of vocabulary doesn't mean that people just communicate less. (Perhaps less intelligibly. See "Politics and the English Language" by George Orwell.) But to communicate people would not necessarily relearn the language. And using the formal words would not be, almost by definition, "conversational." So rather, they create more language by altering the use of a word from the past, or a word that wasn't used as much. "Legit" would be one. "Hipster" would be another. "Swag" would be one. "Word" can be one. And all of them come in plethora of colorful intonations. Just think about how many ways all these words can be pronounced. "Word." "Woôord." "WORD!" That is another way to create language with limited vocabulary. They are tailored to our sense of humor and the need of such terms and are versatile. In time, these words go, and new ones are found, smithed, circulated, and dissipated. Although I think vocabulary initially expands the gamut of emotions I am able to feel, I also think that the power of vulgar and vernacular words, combined with its intonations, have their own appeal. It makes things lighter, it becomes more easily communicated, and it rolls smooth in sound. I think it's pretty legit to leave this shit as is.


Mothagesso.