I used to take a negative stance against people who studied things that I deemed shallow. I shit on them for their myopia. The only thing shallow there was probably my own knowledge and crucially respect for the field. If anything, my own myopia. I don't have the world down. I frequently used to think that I know the world. It was just my world.
It also didn't help that I was reading bunch of political philosophers from hundred years ago who shit on the essence of fields only at its advent. Conservatism of sorts. Bad one to have, hundred years later.
I remember when a girl in my class shared why she studies psychology. 'Social sciences are annoying,' I thought, 'they are value-free. Sociologists seem to ever pick on problem of contemporary society, without much historical understanding of the issue. One-sided railing against issues, with no particular solutions. Just problems, problems, problems. Or just really irrelevant note on how different everyone is. Just bunch of stuff that I wish was just made as a B-rated documentary. Psychologists also talk too much about obvious things. Obvious things that all people do. Nicely systematized with words and stuff, but what's the deeper rigor here, besides trying to fit people into little block shapes? Trying to prove the obvious, trying to come up with proof. What does this add? Valuable findings of psychology become pop science bestsellers or documentaries.'
"I was really fascinated when I took psych 101, unlike many other friends who hated it. I just thought it was fascinating that people, who are so diverse and different, have these commonalities."
Oh.
Oh, oh, oh. People are different. And at best we can create anything and fathom nothing.
Mothagesso.
It also didn't help that I was reading bunch of political philosophers from hundred years ago who shit on the essence of fields only at its advent. Conservatism of sorts. Bad one to have, hundred years later.
I remember when a girl in my class shared why she studies psychology. 'Social sciences are annoying,' I thought, 'they are value-free. Sociologists seem to ever pick on problem of contemporary society, without much historical understanding of the issue. One-sided railing against issues, with no particular solutions. Just problems, problems, problems. Or just really irrelevant note on how different everyone is. Just bunch of stuff that I wish was just made as a B-rated documentary. Psychologists also talk too much about obvious things. Obvious things that all people do. Nicely systematized with words and stuff, but what's the deeper rigor here, besides trying to fit people into little block shapes? Trying to prove the obvious, trying to come up with proof. What does this add? Valuable findings of psychology become pop science bestsellers or documentaries.'
"I was really fascinated when I took psych 101, unlike many other friends who hated it. I just thought it was fascinating that people, who are so diverse and different, have these commonalities."
Oh.
Oh, oh, oh. People are different. And at best we can create anything and fathom nothing.
Mothagesso.