I usually know when I make a friend, because I can catch myself talking about absolutely nothing. It doesn't feel so ridiculous to be ridiculous. The awkwardness may be there but not enough to be jarring, conversations enders don't feel consequential, time doesn't seem to lie stagnant like it does at a bad dinner date (the worst). Where does that feeling come from?
Does it stem from similarities? I'll find I have no trouble talking about differences with certain people. Hey I like green, you like red. We can celebrate Christmas together. But with some others, I'll feel at ease when we're talking about common ground, and feel oddly at odds (heh) when we're talking about differences. The difference talk, as I may dub it, will start out with benign motives, wanting to get to know each other and all, trying to love the other for who they are. Or sometimes even to get them to love us for who we are; I often believe these deliberate actions are ultimately rooted in extreme selfishness and our desire to be loved. Nonetheless,
It's tricky as well because some differences just matter more. His red overalls won't matter as much until you witness his rude behavior toward waitresses or see him brush his teeth with your toothbrush (extreme example). Dealbreakers. For me, its when a person has no idea who I am and likes me for who he/she thinks I am. Dealbreakers are at a level above pet peeves and just below incompatibility.
But yeah. Its so easy to love the people who are easy to talk to. Its almost like they were personalized for you to befriend. And sometimes, the fact that they've mastered the mysterious natural ability to talk to you is precisely what draws you to them. You know how to talk to me! I like you already. Or at least that's how I think in my head when no one's listening.
What is chemistry?
Guichanaso.