From a lunch conversation with an Asian Studies professor:
"I luckily fell into where I am. I had no idea what I wanted to do, and I became a banker because Bank of Tokyo was the first place to offer me a job. But when my other colleagues were busy checking the financial reports, I studied Japanese because I thought it was a fascinating language... Once you do something you love, things just open up one after another. Now I love my job more than anything. There's really probably only one or two jobs I would trade this job for.
"Don't simply decide on a career, thinking that that would be the end. You get screwed on the way there, things you didn't know before pop up, it happens to be something very different from what you thought you knew. You sacrifice the other choices to get there, and when you get there, it isn't the end as you thought.
"My former banker friend visited me, and he asked, 'what are you reading?' I said, 'Oh, it's Haruki Murakami. Have you read it?' You know what he said? He said, 'I don't have time to read fiction.' And I thought, 'Fuck, man. You're in your mid-forties and all you have time to do is to read reports?' What kind of life is that? I think I am happier than he is.
"Do what you like now. Do what appeals to you. You will have to make choices still, but you won't have any regrets.
"Just do what you love right now."
Mothagesso.
"I luckily fell into where I am. I had no idea what I wanted to do, and I became a banker because Bank of Tokyo was the first place to offer me a job. But when my other colleagues were busy checking the financial reports, I studied Japanese because I thought it was a fascinating language... Once you do something you love, things just open up one after another. Now I love my job more than anything. There's really probably only one or two jobs I would trade this job for.
"Don't simply decide on a career, thinking that that would be the end. You get screwed on the way there, things you didn't know before pop up, it happens to be something very different from what you thought you knew. You sacrifice the other choices to get there, and when you get there, it isn't the end as you thought.
"My former banker friend visited me, and he asked, 'what are you reading?' I said, 'Oh, it's Haruki Murakami. Have you read it?' You know what he said? He said, 'I don't have time to read fiction.' And I thought, 'Fuck, man. You're in your mid-forties and all you have time to do is to read reports?' What kind of life is that? I think I am happier than he is.
"Do what you like now. Do what appeals to you. You will have to make choices still, but you won't have any regrets.
"Just do what you love right now."
Mothagesso.