I hate when things I write doesn't sound right. I don't know how to make it sound right to others, or at least sit right within me.
So I envy the poets, but did they succeed in what they wanted to say, or did they succeed in creating this monster that whispers to people differently?
"If you had exactly what you wanted to say, you hire a lawyer. That's what they do. Poets do not know how else to express. They shoved all these clashing words in this little frame to bounce off each other like crazy for a reason," said a scholar of literature who knows that that's a framework of analysis and thought universally applicable to poetry, but also merely a framework popular and prevalent in our generation, that will probably sell to us. Everyone is sold in the present, aren't they? It's really hard to escape it.
I've been thinking about the sense of humor of the generation I am part of. "Everyone knows irony every since Seinfeld." 'Post-Seinfeldian irony,' said a domineeringly adorable and jocular professor of mine. 'Wit' is still a key ingredient. Sadly also is assholeries on other people. But perhaps sort of new, perhaps something that I don't always find in other things I read-- humor that has been part of the past established enough to be written not just spoken-- is the total randomness. Totally unexpected response. An irony. I find them funny. They're the most value-void and logic-mocking.
"The governor raped the child," said my friend when I asked him to say something random. All that movie that he watches at night.
Mothagesso.
So I envy the poets, but did they succeed in what they wanted to say, or did they succeed in creating this monster that whispers to people differently?
"If you had exactly what you wanted to say, you hire a lawyer. That's what they do. Poets do not know how else to express. They shoved all these clashing words in this little frame to bounce off each other like crazy for a reason," said a scholar of literature who knows that that's a framework of analysis and thought universally applicable to poetry, but also merely a framework popular and prevalent in our generation, that will probably sell to us. Everyone is sold in the present, aren't they? It's really hard to escape it.
I've been thinking about the sense of humor of the generation I am part of. "Everyone knows irony every since Seinfeld." 'Post-Seinfeldian irony,' said a domineeringly adorable and jocular professor of mine. 'Wit' is still a key ingredient. Sadly also is assholeries on other people. But perhaps sort of new, perhaps something that I don't always find in other things I read-- humor that has been part of the past established enough to be written not just spoken-- is the total randomness. Totally unexpected response. An irony. I find them funny. They're the most value-void and logic-mocking.
"The governor raped the child," said my friend when I asked him to say something random. All that movie that he watches at night.
Mothagesso.