Errrrrrr hi, this space! So foreign! Testimony to how negligent I've been!
An end to a relatively successful albeit a little disappointing (my goals were high) quarter met a start to winter break which I, honestly, was not looking forward to that much. Yes of course family but that was it. Winter break meant distance and solitude and grant proposals and internship applications--schools might as well have taken the liberty to place quotation marks around "break," just like that. Winter "break." "Winter break," "break, Winter," et cetera.
I also forgot that my family doesn't really celebrate Christmas. We're also not big on movies. So no, we didn't give each other gifts, and no, we did not catch the Les Mis premiere. Thanks, Facebook, for letting me know once again what I missed out on in life! Wouldn't be here without ya.
So tonight I am thinking about how much I miss the autonomous lifestyle I enjoy in Evanston, and how much I miss school, classes, the learning environment, and friends. I miss my room. I miss my speakers. I miss my clothes. All the clothes at home are from middle school and earlier, and they all reek of bad choices.
Tonight I am also thinking about arguments. How do people get into arguments, and why is it so hard to be the bigger person and say, hey, we're wonderful people and I love you otherwise, let's stop this nonsense and make peace. It's so easy to stoop to whatever level anger drags us down to, but so difficult to remind ourselves of our capacity to be lovely. Sometimes it's especially frustrating when you see a specific argument coming. You think in your head, please don't say that one thing I know you'll say. And when they inevitably say it, it's as if they punched some part of your body you just got surgically repaired.
Lastly, I'm thinking about cover letters. Absolutely abhor them. Also abhor requests for letters of recommendation. WHY must you make things difficult? Is commonapps for internships ever going to be a thing?
If it's not invented during my time I'll be insanely jelly and bitter
Guichanaso