So this dude is quoted in like the introductory quote, the ornamentation, of this book that I'm reading for a class. The dude says, partially, art "created the fascinating imaginative realm where no one owns the truth and everyone has the right to be understood." This is not the main thing he says, but still it stuck to me. This is a little less purposeful than what Gabriel GarcĂa Marques said in his Nobel Literature Prize lecture. He basically said the purpose of story and poetry is to connect people through a narrative. Improve sympathy. Share and expand and identify the "common." More or less what this short story author whose name I cannot recall who visited my school said. The practical purpose of literary works is to connect people.
I think a few things. First, no shit duh. Why do people write in the first place? Even if the author did not intend in any specific emotion to tap into the nerves of sympathy, any coherent story will create a coherent atmosphere that one can feel and relate to. Second, why must it be any thing near practical anyway, although it proves to be, somehow, most of the times. Third, we don't have enough people knowing how to listen. If we listen and know a person, we can distinguish that persons' words exactly into their thought processes. I can understand your words, however they may be. Fourth, the artist cannot and I would even say should not fully complete their reason with their work. Reason limits certain choices and perverts it as well. If something irrational is necessary, execute. In other words, you cannot plan everything in your work. Somethings must be unforeseeable and surprising, and even if you try to plan everything, you cannot guarantee that it will be received as you wished. So do not plan, sometimes.
Mothagesso.
I think a few things. First, no shit duh. Why do people write in the first place? Even if the author did not intend in any specific emotion to tap into the nerves of sympathy, any coherent story will create a coherent atmosphere that one can feel and relate to. Second, why must it be any thing near practical anyway, although it proves to be, somehow, most of the times. Third, we don't have enough people knowing how to listen. If we listen and know a person, we can distinguish that persons' words exactly into their thought processes. I can understand your words, however they may be. Fourth, the artist cannot and I would even say should not fully complete their reason with their work. Reason limits certain choices and perverts it as well. If something irrational is necessary, execute. In other words, you cannot plan everything in your work. Somethings must be unforeseeable and surprising, and even if you try to plan everything, you cannot guarantee that it will be received as you wished. So do not plan, sometimes.
Mothagesso.