20130218

I've never had any in-person experiences of racism being a prominent problem.

Whenever I meet a person for the first time, I am quick to find a moment to make a light-hearted self-racist joke. You ten-out-of-ten get a chuckle. Fifteen-out-of-ten if it's about someone else who was humorously racist, and I know a lot of them. That's the only socially suave way to respond to a light-hearted self-racist joke, no matter how your views and sensitivities are. For those occasional that's-not-cool-ers, I simply apologize, "Yeah, that was a little base for me to say. (I thought it was funny.) I apologize," because I was, to him or her. Usually I just qualify it and make it even softer before even they conjure up a response, "Hah, sorry, I had to, I'm racist against asian people. (Yeah, so wha'chu'gunna'say.)" But most people chuckle. Good number of people add another joke on top of that (I like them immediately then).

It's cool, in many other places. It seems like, when people are tourists, everyone seems to be pretty chill; but when they become neighbors, the 'other race' soon become the target of mockery, if not hatred-the source of unease. Because of social welfare and whatnot. I don't know how long the time will be, or what way is the right way to do it in a country, or which country is leading in that. Then we consider the countries that are pretty homogeneous. Any country where different cultures don't really coexist, is usually chill; ignorant, or carefree, about racism ('Zambian Africans love fried chickens, like black people in America do!' All Zambians laugh at this in surprise. Any 'Americans' would twitch a little, although I've told this to many black people, and they were chill. Maybe it was because I'm neutral, man, I'm asian.) Hope we can just sort of adopt that with a click. But they, too, may just well become very racist when it starts to become multicultural and coexisting/competing, and struggle to jump the hurdle like the U.S. But you know how I think we'll jump that hurdle?

I never agreed with polite education about racism. Polite is too bright, and could make shadows. It's so uncomfortable, all that formalities. This unease projects to how comfortable and open we are in our communication and contact with another race; but consider the best friends, who always lift the burden by racist-joking to each other, because they know each other purely as that person, not any other categorizations.

I feel like, if anything, we'll have to end up laughing enough to get over it. Humors are always a little ironically dirty, never polite-polite. Polite education will make shadows of taboo-racism, which will then become humor. Humor, I think, will just take over, and breeze by the pages of whatever the textbook will continue to mumble.

We do look different, you know. Kids know that, and don't care. They just have a lot of fun and become good friends liberatingly being racist to each other. Yes, soft hearts will cry and tear, but in due time, we'll probably soon be over the marks of initial contact by bleaching them with humor (No white supremacy intended there, take it as a 'colorless' metaphor, hah).

I think as such, so I always joke about it. Prod it more and more, there's always an opening for a discussion, or more laughter, which ends civil (and I usually pitch my argument well! It's good asian skills (should 'a' be capitalized?)). Admit that it's funny, man. I know how much it's liberating and reassuring when you find a minority dude being racist to himself.

So why not laugh? (All the more so since your eyes won't disappear like mine when you're laughing. I call it, the 'thin moon,' thanks.)

Yes, this is not about the fact that there is miles-deep gap between standards of lives. Social science will remind us well of the all the socio-politico-economico-anthro-problems. And it will press for all the official, artificial, and political changes, that are always bound to happen eventually (if you don't, you know your country is going to implode, man, people don't like it like that).

This is about a more simple conversion. In-person experience. Racist jokes are great (you learn about how to be racist to yourself, which is, I tell you, useful!). Only laughter crumbles the wall between people. It's a deep sharing, euphoric feeling, isn't it?

Maybe America just had a really rough start on it, with slavery. But other races came later, though? Maybe if racism roots once, it grows well. It will grow well, until when things start to be funny, like it is, in Europe, where countries all assimilate, self-distinguish, and don't care at the same time. It's like we all say to each other, 'hey, you're cool and our skin colors are different. Maybe that's partly why you're cool to me.' I'd love to be blonde or brunette, have a fro, and a little tanned asian look with a Grecian stature or hispanic physique.

So just, in the meantime, laugh with me and relax. Don't feel tense. I'll go vote or donate if you convince me, but before that happens, re-lax.



Shut the fuck up and chill the fuck out,
Mothagesso.