20120623

I met a 25-year old, energetic professional today.

He headed non-profit organization in Nepal right out of college, did numerous other works that may broadly fit under the category, "social impact." Just last year, he joined MSCI, "whose leading research provides in-depth ratings and analysis of the environmental, social and governance-related business practices of thousands of companies worldwide. MSCI ESG Research also serves signatories of the UN's Principles for Responsible Investing, which represents a total of USD 30 trillion in AUM."

In other words, he took it to the Wall Street. The firm grades companies of their ESG-- or Environmental, Social & Governance-- ratings. Basically, rates them for how responsible they are to the people and the planet. Then he visits the investment banks, hedge funds, and private equity firms. He shared how he said he got interested in the position months after he first heard it, and then read about 50 books in the span of 2 months about financial market indices. "If you stop learning about the world then, I mean, that's okay, but you just stop, then."

Aside from explaining what his firm did, "I guess, one advice that I can give you," he said, "is to listen. Our generation grew up with all the information available. There was nothing that we cannot know. We can just type it in and search it. But a lot of people are still not accustomed to that. And a lot of people my age knows all the facts, the right answer, the best thing to do and they just end up saying too much, talking about things that others are not even worried about, slighting them, not attuning to them-- not listening to them. I started to listen to everything that a person or a client had to say, and only then, start talking. Then you know what to say and what not to, and you listened to them."

"Learn how to listen."


Mothagesso.